It may still be winter, but we are heading full speed ahead into spring and summer, the season for garden parties, barbecues and weddings and the perfect opportunity to get dressed up in a sensational party dress. Here are some of our top picks of the trends for party dresses for spring and summer.
1.The Lace Dress-lace is back on trend again for another season. This time you can choose from traditional black, white or a more modern and more daring look with bright neons as seen at Christopher Kane. Choose from shift dresses or fifties style lace dresses for a cute and feminine look.
2.White –an fresh white dress is the perfect way to show off a summer sun tan. You can choose from pretty dresses in sheer fabrics or broderie Anglais or intricately embellished styles as seen at the catwalk shows of Diesel, Dolce & Gabbana and Chloe or opt for simple elegance and minimalist with a white dress that takes inspiration from the catwalk shows of Rick Owens, MaxMara and Max Azria.
3. Floral Dresses –floral dresses are always a great choice for a summer party, they are also a great investment as they can be dressed down with boots and a leather jacket for a more casual look. Big bright and bold florals are likely to be every where this summer as seen at Paul & Joe, Etro and Erdem catwalk shows.
4. Maxi – Maxi dresses are ideal for summer parties and with seventies fashion making a come back for 2011, there are sure to be plenty of styles to choose from. Look for bright colours and bold prints and flowing fluid fabrics. Glamour and romance are also top of the agenda for SS11 maxi dresses with sheer fabrics at Thakoon, Valentino, Ralph Lauren, Dries Van Noten and John Galliano.
5. Minimal – Sometimes simplicity is the most stylish way to go. There will be plenty of minimalist party dresses on offer for SS11 with styles including column maxi dresses, shift dresses and sheath dresses.
6. Block colours –If you really want to stand out from the crowd at a party this spring or summer then a block colour dress is a great choice. You could look for a combination of nude and bright colour blocks as seen at Issa and Marc Jacobs or go for an eye popping combination or primary colours.
7. Orange – splashes of orange were seen all over the catwalks for SS11. Choose a simple shapes and white and orange prints for a really on trend look. Shades vary from peachy at Osman Yousefzada to golden oranges at Victoria Beckham and Cacherel and tangerines at Sonia Rykiel, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Marni and Hermes. The orange party dress will definitely be one of the summers more noticable looks.
8. One Shouldered dresses – the one shouldered dress is another key look that was big in 2010 and will be back again next season. This the ultimate elegant and flattering style of party dress which includes Grecian and draped styles as well as mininmalist and ruffled dresses. The length doesn’t really matter you can choose a maxi dress or mini dress and anything in between.